Semi – Finals Match 1: France – Belgium
This report is focused on the analysis of the first game of the semifinals, between France (FIFA ranking: 7) and Belgium (FIFA ranking: 3). So far, The team of D. Deschamps is undefeated in the tournament (it has 4 wins and 1 draw). France, managed to win Uruguay in the quarterfinals and proceed to the semifinals for 6th time in its history. On the other hand, the team of R. Martinez has so far 5 wins and the best offense in the Word Cup (Belgium has scored 14 goals). Belgium, reached the semifinals for a second time in its history; after eliminating Brazil in the quarterfinals.
Strengths vs Weaknesses
| Pass Success Rate
|| Shots off Target
|| Yellow Cards
| Goal +
|| Yellow Cards
| Shots on Target
Team Statistical Profiles:
- France is expected to try at least 8 shots in total during the game. Almost half of the shots are going to be on target. Moreover, based on its World Cup stats, France has tried so far 45 shots in total and almost 45% of them are shots on target.
- France has scored so far 9 goals in 5 games in the World Cup. Based on its preliminaries and World Cup stats, when France faces teams of a similar FIFA Ranking as Belgium, it is expected to score at least 1 goal.
- France, is expected to receive at least 2 yellow cards during the game. Based on its preliminaries and World Cup stats it receives in average 1 yellow card per game. But, when it faces difficulties against teams of a similar FIFA Ranking as Belgium, it is very often to receive even more yellow cards.
- When France faces teams of a similar FIFA Ranking position as Belgium AND reaches ball possession rate close to 55% AND has in average at least 4 shots on target AND has higher pass success rate than its opponent, then it is more likely to get a positive result.
- Belgium’s preliminaries stats for Goal+ and Goal- were really productive. On average, Belgium scored 4.3 goals and received 0.6 goals per game. In 10 preliminary games, Belgium achieved 9 wins and only 1 drawn. While in the World Cup, Belgium is the only team that has five wins.
- Belgium has scored so far in the World Cup 14 goals, by trying in average 9 shots on target per game. Based on its preliminaries stats, the corresponding shooting on target average value was almost 9 shots per game. When Belgium, faces teams of a similar FIFA Ranking as France, is expected to try at least 4 shots on target; which is its minimum average shooting on target rate. Thus, Belgium is predicted to try at least 4 shots on target AND to score at least 1 goal.
- On the other hand, Belgium usually receives 1.5 yellow cards per game, when it faces teams of a similar FIFA Ranking as France. In case that Belgium faces difficulties during the game it is expected to receive more than 1 yellow card. Moreover, based on its World Cup stats, Belgium is expected to receive at least 1 goal from France.
Prediction of the Game:
The following graph illustrates the estimated probabilities regarding the result of this game:
The projected indicators for the game:
Both of the teams will be banned with at least 1 yellow card and the referee is expected to show at least 3 yellow cards during the game. France is projected to have higher pass success rate than Belgium, while both of the teams is expected to score at least 1 goal.